Sunday, April 11, 2010

Let's be real.

I do not want to talk about my weekend. It was horrible. Family problems are everywhere and mine aren't any different from yours or yours or yours.

That said, after feeling low, down on myself and lethargic for most of the day, I realized it was almost time to pick up my roommate from the airport, as I'd promised her. Before I left, I jazzed up the apartment with birthday things - she turned 24 yesterday - and ran out to put the finishing touches on her gift.

I got to ACY -- it was a sweet ride down, a perfect day to drive, really -- and went all-out when I saw her. We gave each other the lamest, silliest hug, I got her suitcase in the trunk, I had an apple and a Coke Zero waiting for her, along with a birthday crown.

A long talk and a short ride later, we rolled back into Point and went out to dinner. A little later, it came up that CK's boyfriend bailed out on picking her up from the airport, and it had kinda let her down. She turned to me and said "You showed up and had an apple, a Coke Zero and a birthday tiara. No one knows me better than you do."

I could have laughed til I cried. My biological family will always be my family. But on bad, bad days like this, I find peace and comfort in friends that are, to me, like family. I am lucky.

Two weeks until France. Making my packing list? Oh you bet. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment