Sunday, March 28, 2010

The 5K!!

Whoa.

So, yesterday.

Wow. I wish I had written this post yesterday to better capture the exhilaration of the experience. Today, I am tired. It's a deep kind of exhaustion; my muscles ache, my feet are swollen, I just want to sleep, and ohhh do I have blisters.

But yesterday morning was the best ever. It started out a little dubious. I got there entirely too early, after skype-ing with Chris and stretching out/warming up with Billy Blank's 8-minute tae bo workout. After 5 minutes at St. Peter's, I had finished registering, annnnd had an hour to kill. My sister called before 9 to talk and wish me luck, my dad sent me a text telling me he'd be on the boardwalk part of the course.

9:30 eventually arrived, and, bundled in my layers, which included my awesome free commemorative t-shirt, plus a hat and gloves, we all gathered at the start.

3...2...1!

Mile 1. Welcome to hell, Mother Nature cackled at me. Hardest mile: I struggled against a horrifyingly cold wind as we ran north along St. Louis Ave (which is about halfway between my apartment and the beach), eventually heading right and down another neighborhood street, then down Ocean Ave (which runs parallel to the boardwalk. Not easy - I slowed down to a slow jog twice, then saw we were approaching Mile 2 and the boardwalk. That was when everything got a little easier:my body was warming up, I was no longer snotting all over the place in the bitter wind, my breathing was normal. I passed my dad on the boardwalk and only had enough time to yell where he could meet me at the end. "It's freezing!!!!" he said as I passed. The end of that mile was slow again for me, and I really began underestimating myself. Yes, the fact that I showed up and ran at all was enough to be proud of, but I was fearing a really poor time at this point. I walked twice, but realized that it was pointless because it didn't make me feel warmer, less achy and it certainly didn't get me there any faster.

We exited the boardwalk and ran up NJ Ave. People in my group were beginning to slow down and walk at this point. We turned down a street and I realized I was only another few blocks away from the finish. Already?? Really?

Now, I had taken a lot of time to prep my playlist, and wanted the music to play in a certain order. Well, after the race began, I realized the good old iPod was on shuffle...so now, I didn't know what song was next. Still, I couldn't have planned this moment better: as I rounded the 2nd to last bend, the Foo Fighters came on. Everlong.

I admit I put far too much emotional stock in song, but Everlong's one of my favorite running songs as well as one that reminds me of Chris. I knew it was going to help me through. So I lept going. As I reached the last minute, the song changed again, to "Generator" (also by Foo Fighters). It seemed so right to see the finish line as the lyrics played: "I'm the generator, firing whenever you quit. Whatever it is, you go out and it's on."

The music, my mindset and my adrenaline took over completely. I forgot that I was tired, cold and achy. I sprinted to the end, pushing as hard as I could, crossed the line, got my finisher card. And then I started crying.

I don't know what came over me. The past few weeks have been a mix of busy and trying. I never thought this simple little run could give me the freedom I felt yesterday. I feel like I've left negativity behind. Because if I can do this, then I can hurdle anything.

I was a little disoriented, and thankfully got my bearings with the plethora of free food and water they offered inside. I went back to the finish line to find out my time.... 32:47.

And that's when I had my Joe Biden gaff: "HOLY SHIT!" flew out of my mouth in the presence of a priest and like 4 kids. I admit I need to work on that.

So there you have it: One of my goals for March is gleefully checked off. not only did I handle the 5K, but I finished it in under 33, just as I promised. I'm a mix of tired, peaceful and calm. Then again, I haven't really done much and it's already 1:00 on Sunday. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment