Friday, February 12, 2010

Getting Old and liking it.

Since last post, things seem monumentally better. I guess it’s just a notion of finding something to hold onto, finding comfort in familiarity.

On this side of the Atlantic, things are also pretty great. I am hoping that Wednesday’s snowstorm, that annihilated Jersey with another 18 inches, is the last of severe winter weather (I know we’re getting a few inches on Monday, but I couldn’t give a shit). I’m honestly so happy to be at work today and was thrilled when my roommate and I shoveled out and left the apartment. I hate being cooped up.

Yesterday was a rescue mission/good deed day for my mom, who did not luck out during Snow-mageddon II. There’s an old pine tree that has been lurking dangerously above our house – above my old bedroom, actually! – for years. Whenever we had a bad storm in the summertime, I refused to sleep in my room; I was too scared the tree would fall over, hit my room and kill me.

My mom was shoveling on Wednesday night. She pulled her car to the back half of our driveway, shoveled a bit, then went inside. She says she was inside for about ten minutes when she heard a loud CRACK.



That’s her car. The branch fell between her car and the house. Luckiest. Woman. Alive.

She was somewhat of a wreck for the rest of the night. So on Thursday I hurried over with the intention of making or going out for dinner. Mom sort of beat me to the punch on that, but I did make a scrumptious salad. That counts, right?

Today has been nothing short of wonderful. I got these delivered to work today:



I’m really not into Valentine’s Day, but, I have to admit, I LOVE them, and I love that I can show them off. They’re perfect. And it’s really nice having a significant other for the holiday. Even if I really don’t care :P

I checked my bank account to discover my TAX REFUND went in, meaning I have more money than I can possibly remember in my bank account. I’ve paid all my bills for the month, put what I need to put into savings and written out my monthly budget. Can I just say how good that feels? I probably sound old and lame, but I love being financially responsible for myself. I love the independence of payday, of paying for everything I have, even if it sucks so much sometimes. It’s a true point of pride.

I’m also really looking forward to the weekend, but I’m sure there’ll be more about that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment