Tuesday, February 9, 2010

...in lonely frustration of the life you deserved.

Any man is capable of reinventing himself. My father was fired from Waste Management a year ago this week, after 20 years with the company. My parents hover precariously in the “paycheck to paycheck" zone, sometimes, but they're getting by. My dad, at 55, is rebuilding, reinventing. My father and I don’t always get along, but I HAVE to respect someone who didn't give in.

I will not, will not, will not, share in this misery. That’s not what people do. They support each other: yes. And I will be supportive.

That phone call last night… I’ve heard it before. And I am scared. The only other person I felt I loved - he had a personal crisis about grad school, just like this. It turned into a meltdown. It turned into a coldness. He decided the best way to continue was misery. And cutting off everyone who loved him. Myself included.

I don’t believe that history’s going to repeat itself, but I do know my tolerance for self-pity has changed rapidly since then. I don’t know what’s going to happen next.

In other news. More snow tomorrow. I'm so happy I could shoot myself in the foot.

My mom teased me this weekend. "You used to love snow." I guess I'm getting older. Or maybe just more disillusioned.

1 comment:

  1. Something I've come to realize is that everything truly is relative. What may be stressful and rough for someone, may seem like absolutely nothing to another. I've definitely learned that lesson - and quickly - since being in law school. And, Paris is gross. LOL. Sorry, I totally don't mean to piss you off, but yes, it smells like smoke everywhere and is actually pretty gross. But again, like you I HATE (DESPISE) constant complainers. Yes you should be supportive, but you're totally right, do not aid in anyone's pity party!!

    ReplyDelete